Passed by the Board of Aldermen on January 9, 2019
Ayes: Humble, Robb, Pilcher, Kassner
A Resolution establishing a procedure for the use and processing of credit cards.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN OF THE CITY OF RICH HILL, MISSOURI AS FOLLOWS:
The City of Rich Hill strives to protect sensitive information provided during the payment process. This policy is to provide a standard for the process of credit cards.
- The City shall not store more than the first six digits and/or the last four digits of a credit card number.
- The City shall not store the card verification code or value under any circumstance.
- The City shall not collect or store personal identification numbers (PIN) under any circumstance.
- The City shall not share any information gathered in processing a credit card with anyone other than the card holder or third parties.
- Credit card data will not be collected via the internet.
- Credit card payments will only be processed by office personnel who are bonded to take payments.
- Credit card information shall only be taken in person or via phone payments.
When processing credit cards for phone payments, it is necessary to write the information given to accurately process the payment at the credit card machine. As such, the following will be followed for credit card data:
- Credit card data-including card numbers, CVC/CVV numbers and expiration dates, shall be shredded after completing the transaction.
- If a transaction fails for any reason, the information shall be shredded and the card holder shall re-submit the information at a later date.
- Credit card payments must be verbally authorized by the card holder.
The credit card policy shall be reviewed annually and updated as needed.
Because of the sensitivity of credit card information any employee who knowingly violates this policy is subject to disciplinary action up to and including discharge and/or legal proceedings.
Jason Rich, Mayor
Brittany Schenker, City Clerk