BILL NO. 604 ORDINANCE NO. 1604
AN ORDINANCE PROHIBITING TAMPERING WITH WATER METERS/SERVICES
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN OF CITY OF RICH HILL, MISSOURI AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1 – Tampering with Water Services
No person without the consent of the City shall intentionally:
- Convert to their use or the use of another any water service of the City or any portion of the water distributed by the City; or
- Prevent such water or any portion thereof from passing through any meter provided for measuring the same;
- Prevent a meter from registering correctly the water passing through it or aid in any manner the unlawful conversion to his use or the use of another any portion of the water that should pass through a meter but has been diverted or prevented from being correctly registered by a meter or that has been diverted from the water service of the City; or
- Connect, disconnect or in any way molest or tamper with any water service or water meter in the City without submitting an application to the City Clerk and receiving approval from the City Superintendent.
- It shall be unlawful for any person or persons, other than employees of the City to climb or attempt to climb the steel tower and water tank, located in East Park and belonging to the City, either by any cable, rope or ladder that may be attached thereto or by grasping any brace, column, pipe or other portion of the tower and/or tank.
Section 2 – Penalty provision; restitution and denial of services
- Any person who commits an act set forth under Section 1, upon a plea or finding of guilt, may be assessed a fine not to exceed $500, sentenced to jail for a term not to exceed 90 days, or a combination thereof.
- Any person who pleads or is found guilty of committing an act set forth under Section 1 shall also be required to pay for water received during the period of time in question based on the average water usage for the previous three months at that residence. In the event that the usage from the previous three months is not available, usage shall be obtained by installation of a check meter for two weeks.
- If the identity of the person who has molested a seal or meter or has tampered with the water service as described in Section 1 is not otherwise proven, the Consumer to whom the water service is being furnished through such meter shall be required to pay for the water received during the period of time in question as set forth in Paragraph 2 of this Section.
- The City reserves the right to deny services to any individual who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this ordinance. Furthermore, the City may turn repeat offenders over to the Bates County Prosecuting Attorney for the possibility of charges to be pursued by the State of Missouri.
ALL ORDINANCES OR PARTS OF ORDINANCES OR POLICIES IN CONFLICT WITH THIS ORDINANCE ARE HEREBY REPEALED.
1ST READING ON 24TH DAY OF MAY 2016
2ND READING ON 24TH DAY OF MAY 2016
This Ordinance was read, passed, and approved this 24TH day of May 2016.
Jennifer Perkey-Ewing, Mayor Brittany Schenker, City Clerk
Ayes: Humble, Pilcher, Rich
Nays: None Northward seat vacant